Monday, December 7, 2015

It's becoming real

A couple of weeks ago, our team was working on a new project, another first for us, and we were trying to figure out the best way to go about it.  We gathered information -- piles of documents covering every surface, 3 computers, white board, and lots of coffee.




I logged into the crowd fund campaign that Jodi created just 6 weeks ago and looked at the number -- $15,025.  I could barely contain myself. I realized it was a milestone, we raised more than half and it hit me -- WE CAN DO THIS!

It was a turning point.  A shift in the energy, you might say.  All of a sudden it became real: the Empowerment Program, the girls, Sandra and Christine and Teddy and Barbara all working hard in their new businesses.  I could see how their lives would change, how they would gain confidence in their talents, and with each passing day, learn more about themselves - their strengths, their weaknesses, their courage, their grit and their power to provide for themselves and their families.

I held that vision with me as I composed our Thanksgiving message.



Thinking about Teddy, and her newborn child, Michelle, it hit me again, another milestone.  While I’ve been so focused on the plights of these girls, wanting to see them safe and secure, I had not realized how the impact of a dozen people in Uganda and Denmark and the United States and the supporters like you who believe in them were truly changing not only the lives of these young women, but changing the course of history for their children.  

And yet again, I am blessed with the opportunity to be a part of this and to know that because of our donors Baby Michelle will grow up in a home where her mom, fully restored and with resources to start a business will be able to love and provide for her.

Update:  Thanks to our supporters, The Empowerment Program has now reached $18,080.  We have sent $12.5k over to Destiny Women, and have hired a liaison in Uganda to act on our behalf.  Destiny Women has begun to look for property and to put a team together to set up and manage the program.


Ubuntu, 

Michelle Luhrmann,  Founder and President
#ILLUMINTEOURWORLD  #EMPOWER  #DOSOMETHING


Learn more about how Amilia’s Light got started in "A Spark of Light" 
and Destiny Women-Uganda in "It Takes Courage To Step Out"



No comments:

Post a Comment