Wednesday, November 4, 2015

You have to open a door in order to step up, step out and do something.


You have to open a door in order to Step up Step Out and Do Something 
 Part 2 - Charlie Peck



Michelle’s Story
I was at a  church mission trip planning meeting thinking not only about spending time with my two World Vision sponsored children, Stella and Namie, but how in the world was I going to evaluate the NGO, Destiny Women?

I had been trying to find the right person to evaluate Destiny Women’s proposal for some time.  I was going on UCC Medfield’s vision trip to Uganda with World Vision and was just going to have to stay on in Uganda – to meet with them completely on my own.  God had a different plan…

We were discussing taking a few extra days to decompress before returning to the states and Charlie mentioned that “time was not an issue.”


Charlie Peck Stepped up for Amilia's Light in 2013

Hmmm, I think, Charlie has the time to extend the trip… Hmmm, Charlie’s background is banking – and evaluating businesses…Hmmmm, Charlie’s wife, Steffi, came and helped me when I was on bedrest with Amilia.   Interesting...coincidence you might ask.   

I don’t think so. “God doesn’t call the equipped, he equips the called”, quoting Rick Yancy.  I certainly didn’t have the knowledge or experience to evaluate Destiny Women – but Charlie sure did.

I called Charlie and Steffi and they invited me for coffee the next morning.  I told them about my plans to start Amilia’s Light, and raise money at the 10th anniversary for a charity, but wasn’t sure it should be for Destiny Women.  Charlie agreed to extend the trip and help me:  I’m not signing on to Amilia’s Light, but I’d certainly be happy to stay and help you assess Destiny Women’s business. “


Charlie’s Story

Our minister offered a trip to Africa, both to visit the church’s recipients of the  missions team’s work and to do a brief safari.  At a pre-trip orientation meeting, one of my co-travelers asked whether I could spend a couple of extra days to visit a small charity she was interested in.  I am semi-retired, and therefore had the time.  That April we flew 18 hours to Uganda.  The first five days were spent with World Vision, then two days seeing a wonderful array of animals in their habitat. Following that, we spent two days with Miriam and Fulukas Boroa, visiting the young ladies of Destiny Women.

The reasons I have become interested in Amilia’s Light are:

*I was humbled by the consequences of the Destiny Women girls, and am hoping to make a difference through Amilia’s Light.”

*I was hugely impressed by the can-do attitudes of both Miriam and Fulukas and by their accomplishments given the limited resources available to them. Their dedication is awesome!

========================================================================

By the time we took our seats for the plane ride home, 
Charlie was all in.    






He illuminates our world because he Stepped up, Stepped Out, and Did Something, he joined our board, became our Treasurer and our North Star. 





Ubuntu,

Michelle Luhrmann
Founder and President, Amilia’s Light


Learn more about how Amilia’s Light got started in "A Spark of Light" 
and Destiny Women-Uganda in "It Takes Courage To Step Out"

Special Thanks to Matthew West, for his inspiring video, "Do Something"
Inspiring Resource:  Bill Hybels, "Power of A Whisper" 




#ILLUMINATEOURWORLD, #EMPOWER, #DOSOMETHING



No comments:

Post a Comment